We are the products of our habits. Choose good habits and become their slave. The principles to be successful in all endeavors are the same, be it in the work, home, church, or community fronts. The principles are available to everyone. All we need is to develop the right habits. Education helps us make a living; self-education helps us make a life.
1. Reading. Reading the right books expands our minds and crystalizes our thinking. Those that can read and don’t read are no different than those that cannot read. Read the right books.
2. Listening. Listening to audios is a powerful way to learn and generate ideas. We have two ears and a mouth for a reason; let’s use them in proportion.
3. Associating. Iron sharpens iron. We become the average of those whom we associate with. The best way to learn is to learn from the experiences of others. Choose your associations wisely. Be part of a culture of learning. Always be in the lookout for learning moments.
4. Sharing. Knowing and not doing is not knowing. Sharing is a great way to solidify what we know. Always be in the lookout for teaching moments.
5. Goal setting. We can never hit a target we don’t have. It is far better to have a target and miss it than not having a target. Proper planning comes from the proper goal setting.
6. Applying. Results come from the actions we take when we apply what we know. Wisdom comes from the application of knowledge and the reflections from the results we get.
7. Scorekeeping. We can only improve what we measure. Think it, ink it, and track it. Plan, do, check, and adjust is the cycle of achievement of champions.
Will you join my cause to fight mediocrity in the world? Pass these nuggets on to others.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy