Saturday, June 15, 2013

Things I learned from my father

Things I learned from my father

The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach you what you need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that you may not have learned at church, school, home or at work. Apply what you learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.

Happy Father’s Day!!!

What have you learned from your father?

What are you teaching to your children?

Here are 7 important things I learned from my dad at a time when I din’t even know that I was learning but now it all comes back to me.  Reflect and be wise. Thanks dad for all your teachings.

1.      Faith. When I asked him why he prayed so much; he answered – I pray to God asking for wisdom to educate you and your brothers and sisters. A big lesson indeed.
2.      Vision. When I asked him why he had moved us to another state; he answered – in a few decades this land will all be mechanized. He was precisely right.
3.      Respect for money. When I made the comment “it is just one cent;” he answered – if you don’t care for one cent you will not care for one million. It’s not how much money we make; it’s what we do with it that counts.
4.      The value of self-discipline. When I complained about getting a hoe for my 7th birthday; he is what he said – we need your help; besides that way you might choose to study in the future. And I did for the next 20 years!
5.      Working and playing. When I asked him to go fishing; he answered – when we finish hoeing this corn field I will take you fishing. Being a man of his word, he did.
6.      Caring for others. When I asked him why I had to be the one to take a piece of fresh meat to the neighbors; he answered – because they may need more than we do; besides you are a fast walker. Then when the neighbors would bring a piece of fresh meat I learned how to care for each other.
7.      Preparing for the future. When I asked him why I had to clean the stinky pig pans on Saturdays; he answered – think of pig poop as the smell of money. If there is poop there is pig and if there is pig there is money. The following year later we had a drought and without pigs we would have starved.

Give your children the gift of preparation for a better future.

Chances only favor those who are prepared.

Be blessed and be a blessing to others!
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)

Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment