The Wisdom of John Wooden
The coach of coaches.
The leader of leaders. The role model to follow. He put in the time required to achieve success. John occupies a space in the minds of great coaches and many of us today. He set a new standard in the game of basketball and the game of life. He was a great example of dedication to excellence. He was a man of deep faith, dedication to his family, the people around him and the sport he loved. His legacy will live for centuries to come. We can all benefit from learning what true success is and most importantly start our journey towards achieving a peaceful end as we transition to eternal life. Here are a few simple, yet powerful words of wisdom he left to anyone who cares to take them to heart.
1) You are more influential than you think.
2) Success is worthwhile when it leads to peace of mind.
3) He produced man who became great basketball players. He taught the men life skills along with teaching the fundamentals of basketball.
4) True success comes after you have worked hard, long, with dedicated loyalty, concern, caring, detail, meticulously and enthusiastically.
5) Youngsters need role models more than they need critics.
6) The first set of threes is about honesty – never lie, never cheat, never steal. The second set of threes is about dealing with adversity – don’t whine, don’t complain, don’t make excuses.
7) John wisdom came from living the seven point creed from his dad:
- Be true to yourself
- Help others
- Make each day your masterpiece
- Drink deeply from good books especially the Bible
- Make friendship a fine art
- Build a shelter against a rainy day
- Pray for guidance and count and give thanks for your blessings every day
Be blessed, and then be a blessing to others
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx