The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Reagan – 09
Ronald Reagan was called the great communicator. He could turn enemies into friends. Out of all American presidents, history will put him at the caliber of Abraham Lincoln. Ronald Reagan communicated truth during a time when the country needed a leader to lead our great nation and the world.
1. As is always the case, once people who have been deprived of basic freedom taste a little of it, they want all of it.
2. And may I conclude with a little Irish blessing – although, some suggest it’s a curse: May those who love us, love us. And those who don’t love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we’ll know them by their limping.
3. I don’t know all the national anthems of the world, but I know this: the only anthem of those that I know that ends with a question is ours, and may it be ever thus. Does that banner still wave “o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?”
4. Every lesson of history tells us that appeasement does not lead to peace.
5. Tragically, those who seemingly want peace the most, our young people, pay the heaviest price for our failure to maintain our strength.
6. My favorite cartoon of the last few years was one – right after we really began rebuilding our military – of two Russian generals. And one of them was saying to the other, “I liked the arms race better when we were the only ones in it.”
7. In this land occurred the only true revolution in man’s history. All others revolutions simply exchanged one set of rulers for another. Here for the first time the Founding Fathers – that little band of men so advanced beyond their time that the world has never seen their like since – evolved a government based on the idea that you and I have the God-given right and ability within ourselves to determine our own destiny.
Thank you for reading and reflecting on today’s nuggets. Share them with others.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy