The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Most of us lack self-discipline. Self-discipline comes from faith. Unwavering faith leads to commitment. There are miracles in commitment. When we choose not to discipline ourselves the world will do it for us, at a much higher cost and pain. When we choose the hard life early on, life gets easier and easier; when we choose the easy life early on, life will get harder and harder. The sum of our choices determines where we are in life. Change is the only constant in life. Why not embrace it?
Self-discipline is the sum of our habits. We are all habit forming creatures. Acquire good habits and become a slave to them. Good habits lead to self-discipline and self-discipline leads to self-mastery.
Today’s nuggets on self-discipline:
1. Start with your dreams and commit to them.
2. Set goals and commit to reaching them.
3. Develop plans and commit to executing them.
4. Focus on mastering the fundamentals of your profession.
5. Choose the right performance standards and adhere to them.
6. Continuously check your performance, your results against your standard or targets, and make adjustments accordingly.
7. Self-discipline leads to self-mastery.
Self-discipline is the breakfast of champions.
Most of us don’t lack intelligence; we lack the will to discipline ourselves.
Now you know it so you are responsible for doing it!
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)