Results boost our self-esteem. Discipline yourself to set daily goals or others will do it for you. It takes focus and concentration to set realistic and achievable goals. Write down goals that are specific and dated. Reaching our goals allow us to live our dreams. Set and reach SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely) goals. We CAN live a life by design when we set and achieve our goals.
1. Smart goals are specific. Smart goals answer the 6 W questions. Who is involved? What do I want to accomplish? Where am I going to accomplish my goal? When do I want to reach the goal? Which are the requirements and constraints to achieve the goal? Why do I want to reach the goal (specific reasons, purpose, and benefits of accomplishing the goal)?
2. Smart goals are measurable. Establish concrete criteria for knowing when the goal is achieved. We can only achieve and improve upon what we measure. Measure progress towards the attainment of the goal.
3. Smart goals are attainable. Goals should stretch us so we can learn and grow. Stretch goals expand our skill sets. Attainable goals are the one we can see ourselves reaching them.
4. Smart goals are realistic. Realistic goal are those which we are capable of reaching them. A realistic goal moves us in the direction of our dreams. A realistic goal gives us the energy required to move towards the goal.
5. Smart goals are timely. Set a date to reach the goal. Use units like numbers, $, lbs., etc. We know we have a timely goal when the goal is tangible, meaning we can taste, touch, smell, see, and hear it.
6. Goals are set in stone. Goals don’t change, plans do. Use the PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, and Adjust) process to reach the goals.
7. Plans are laid on sand. Plans rarely go exactly as planned. Plans often change to reach the goal. Use a scorecard to measure progress towards reaching the goal.
Will you join my cause to fight mediocrity in the world? Pass these nuggets on to others.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy