How to Wow an Audience
This advice given to a college freshman student on how to give a winning 5 minute presentation
1. Be yourself. Use your gifts (smile and spontaneity). Be bright, be brief, and be gone. Focus on the moment, on the subject matter at hand.
2. Practice. Practice, practice, and practice the delivery. Communicate the key messages via simple phrases. “Applied knowledge produces wisdom.”
3. Educate. Educate audience on the subject. Tell the audience the key message with a few different phrases. Remember that communication is mostly nonverbal. Connect with them.
4. Illustrate. Use a brief story to drive the message home. Show them by using words that create impactful images.
5. Entertain. Make it fun. Poke fun on yourself so they can remember the message.
6. Inspire. Use your passion, enthusiasm, and imagination to connect with them. Get them thinking. Make it memorable.
7. Outcome. Generate action from your presentation. The whole purpose of the presentation is to generate action to produce results.
Will you join my cause to fight mediocrity in the world? Pass these nuggets on to others.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy