Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lies to Bondage

Self-Deception

Self-deception - the lies we tell ourselves. Self-deception is the enemy of leaders. Are you telling lies to yourself? Self-deception leads to a distortion of the self, and ultimately, to bondage. John Wooden believed and lived by "being true to oneself." 

These nuggets contain tough words so we can reflect and ponder about lying. 

Here are today’s nuggets on self-deception:

1.      I give my best. I am doing my best. Are you really doing your best? Be honest with yourself. Seize the day. Make every day your day.

2.      Don’t have time and money. Where are your time and money going? We have to make time for what matters most. Stop spending money and start investing money; invest in you. I have not found a broke person without cable TV yet. Skip a meal and buy a great book.

3.      I was betrayed. I have been hurt. Why do you allow others to hurt you? It is not what happens to us that matter, what matters is how we respond to what happens to us.

4.      I deserve it. Most people that don’t understand money. If we cannot afford to buy cash we have not earned it yet. People that say that money is not important to them don’t have money. The sad thing is that they are working in a job they don’t like for money they don’t have.

5.      I am accountable. I don’t need others to hold me accountable. I can do it myself. Are you doing what you telling yourself and others that you will do? Remember there are always two that know everything we do.

6.      I read all the time. I love to read. The only lie that tops this one is the answer to how many portions of spinach or broccoli we eat per day. What are you reading? Who is choosing the books you read? How many great books are you reading per month, per year? If you are not reading at least two great books per month to get better you are falling behind. Security today is found in the quality of your thinking and speed of your learning. Why are you relying on others to provide security for you?

7.      I don’t need motivation. Motivation comes from within; inspiration comes from without.  Where is your motivation coming from? Who inspires you? Do you have a coach or a mentor? Why not? If Michael Jordan needs a coach, who are we not to have one?

The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.

Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)

Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment