Great Player by Choice – Part 5
Take action to develop the essential qualities of a great team player.
Great players win games; great teams win championships.
Play the game to the best of your abilities.
Be a great team player by choice.
Here are today’s nuggets on being great by choice:
1. Have a demanding goal. Are you setting easy goals or are you using your imagination? Demanding goals help us achieve greatness even if we don’t achieve our goals at first. Leave the common for the average player. Be uncommon; be different so you can make a difference.
2. Be positive. Have you ever seen anything great come out of negativity? Be positive about everything in your environment. Release positive energy everywhere you go. Negativity spreads, positivity attracts.
3. Be a great follower. Follow your coach’s instructions. Take the instructions as a gospel. If you don’t understand ask questions. Have you ever seen a great leader that was not a great follower first? We learn best from associating with the right people.
4. Be a slave to a great routine. Set a demanding schedule, a tough routine, and become a slave to your schedule. How often have we looked back and wished we were better prepared? Never, ever, leave your responsibility to chances.
5. Have a great role model. Choose the right role models. Borrow their great thinking so you can have a mental model to follow. Does your role model have character based results. Study your role models have survived success and failure. learn to find the victories in your defeats and find defeats in your victories.
6. Perform under pressure. Be known for performing under pressure. Can you think like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan do? They deliver results when the results are most needed. Be ready to perform at your best when the pressure is the highest.
7. Learn from mistakes and persist. The biggest mistake we can make is not learning from our mistakes. Take time to ponder and reflect on the mistakes and draw lessons from them. Have you ever seen a champion that has not learned from mistakes? Listen or read their stories. Persist to the end. Finish your plays with craftsmanship.
The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)