The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
The World According to Mr. Fred Rogers
Mr. Rogers left a tremendous legacy by nurturing the minds of millions of children, mine included.
Do you understand love? Mr. Rogers did! Therefore he was a loving human being. Understanding love is one of the hardest things in the world.
Here are today’s nuggets from Mr. Rogers:
1. Love. Deep within us – no matter who you are – there lives a feeling of wanting to be lovable, of wanting to be the kind of person that others like to be with. And the greatest thing we can do is to let people know that they are loved and capable of loving.
2. Understanding. Love isn’t a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.
3. Difficulties. It always helps to have people we love beside us when we have to do difficult things in life.
4. Grandparents. Grandparents are both our past and our future. In some ways they are what have gone before, and in others they are what we will become.
5. Forgiveness. One of my wise teachers, Dr. William F. Orr, told me, “There is only one thing that evil cannot stand and that is forgiveness.”
6. Trust. Love and trust, in the space between what’s said and what’s heard in our life, can make all the difference in the world.
7. Family. There’s something unique about being a member of a family that really needs you in order to function well. One of the deepest longings a person can have is to feel needed and essential.
To experience love is to truly live!
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)