Sunday, August 18, 2013

Minding the Kids

Who’s Minding Your Kids?

The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.

I recently had the opportunity to interview Connor and Clare. Connor is 11 and Clare is 14 years old. Mike and Kelly Feneley are raising three kids while dad works for big K and Kelly practices law. Mom and Dad were present sitting in comfortable sofas while the kids and I sat at the meeting table at mom’s law office during our conversation. What a trip it was to ask questions and listen to Connor and Clare take shots at my questions. We can learn a lot from kids.

Today’s nuggets and quotes are from the interview:

1.    Time. When it comes to raising kids, time with them is important. Boys need to spend time with dad and girls need to spend time with mom. Connor says “I love to spend time outdoors with my dad.”

2.    Presence. Be present; be there for them. Care for and about them. Kids need parents around them. Clare says “I love my dad; he is always there for me. I love my mom’s cooking.”

3.    Read. Read for them, with them, and without them. Kids that read succeed. Kids need to see parents reading. Parents need to see their kids reading. Connor says “I am hooked on reading.”

4.    Latitude. Kids need both supervision and space. Let them explore and report back. Connor recently was the guest speaker at our local Rotary Club. He spoke about his outdoor experiences. Connor says “I would rather jump on trees than be sitting on a couch.”
  
5.    Exposure. Allow them to explore the world of great books, the outdoors, travels, etc. Feeding their minds is just as important as feeding their bodies. Allow them to express themselves. Clare says “I recently spent 25 days in Alaska and loved it. I met many people there, I even interviewed some people. Now, I want to go overseas to a country where people don’t speak English.” Connor says “If you are afraid of death you are afraid of living.” Wow, that sure blew me away!

6.    Discipline. Kids may not want discipline, but they sure need it. If you don’t discipline your kids, the world will and they will question why you did not. Both Clare and Connor said “Mom is the disciplinarian at home.” Dad got the loving bear award J

7.    Education. Self-awareness and self-evaluation is important to our kid’s education. Connor says “I am just like my dad. We both love to shoot guns. When I say to him, let’s go out and shoot, he says, sure.” Clare says that “Many siblings can’t stand each other. Connor and I get along.” Connor says “The world programs you like a robot.” Imagine when you hear that from an 11-year-old boy! I cracked up.

Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)

Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment