Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Educational Traveling


The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page - Saint Augustine



Over the years I have been blessed to have traveled to over 20 countries and have worked in at least 15 countries for periods of weeks, some with repeated trips over the years.  I always viewed my travels as part of my life education journey. Travel was part of the life I always wanted to live.  I never regretted the long trips to Australia or the risky trips to Guatemala and Colombia. I used to call them my mission and adventure trips. I am who I am today to great extent due to all the learnings accumulated over the 30 plus years of traveling broadly and deeply. I loved it so much that I still continue to do it today. My next country to visit is Costa Rica. 

Start with the why, then to to the when, where, and how of traveling. Most people love to travel and would love to travel more. For some reason when they think of traveling, they immediately go to the how and stop there instead of going through the sequence from why to how.

Here are 7 whys or reasons that travel is so important. If we know the why, we will get the how taken care of. Travel doesn't just reduce the balance in our bank accounts; intentional travel is one of the best investment one can make. Travel does great things in us because we learn to see the world with different eyes.

1) Pick up wisdom from other cultures

2) Value who we and have; develop compassion

3) Learn, explore and make new connections

4) Get new perspectives and worldview

5) Collect images, memories and stories from the adventures

6) Savor different foods, cultures and the arts

7) Learn history and geography first hand


Be blessed and be a blessing to others!
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment