Wednesday, February 6, 2013

THE POWER OF SELF-DIRECTED EDUCATION


I can’t teach you anything; I can only inspire you to learn for yourself. 

Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

I can only remind you to apply what you already know or need to know. Our learning comes from self-discovery. What is the speed of your learning and growing? Do you know what you don’t know? Did you know that most of what you know is not so? Misinformation abounds in the information age.

The key to living a significant life is in found applying known principles to solve our life’s most pressing problems. If we want to live a meaningful life we need to discover the power of self-education; the only true education.

Leadership is a lifetime assignment and it starts with leading ourselves to learning and growing. Opportunities to apply what we know are all around us every day. Are you taking advantage of the little opportunities presented to you on a daily basis? Time is our most precious resource. Use those cracks of time to build you into the best version of yourself. A great life is the sum of the daily small things we do intentionally for excellence.

Let’s start by asking ourselves the following questions as a check on our self-education. Be not self-deceived. Be true to yourself; it is the only way you can improve.

1) Am I reading at least two great books per month?

2) Am I applying what I already know?

3) Am I listening to the great thinkers and doers instead of listening to myself?

4) Am I acting on the suggestions and perspectives from my mentor?

5) Am I freer today than a year ago?

6) Am I leading others to the process of learning and growing?

7) Is the kid then proud of the person I am today?

If you answered YES to all the above questions, congratulations! You are a great follower and well on your way to becoming a great leader. America needs you to be a better you, now more than ever! Why not continually releasing a better version of yourself?

Be blessed and be a blessing to others!
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment