The value of the right information
We are all inundated in a sea of information. The problem with the information age is the excessive amount of poor information or outright misinformation. We are inundated by information. Most of the information floating around is just noise, therefore useless to help one navigate through life. What is the value of the right information? The right information has enormous value. The right information can change the course of one’s life. It did for me when I first read the book by Stephen Covey, the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. How does one go about getting the right information? Get the advice from those with the results you want. Above all, the right information is information that can be acted upon. The right information, from the right source, to the right person, at the right time, is of utmost value.
1. Know what you want. If we don’t know what we want we are vulnerable to accept anything we get. How can we hit a target we don’t have. If we don’t know where we are going any road will take us nowhere.
2. Get advice. The great value is in the advice and not so much on the information itself. I am willing to pay someone with better results than I have for selecting the right information, like the right book for me to read. I rarely now follow my own advice when selecting the right books to read.
3. Selectively pursue. Be willing to pursue the right sources of information. Keep going until you find what you are looking for. The sad truth is that most people think the right information has to be free for everyone. In reality, the best information has a cost attached to it, as it should. It is worth paying the price for the right information.
4. Learn to discern. There is great value in the ability to discern what is true and what is not. Sounds simple when in reality it is not. This is an ability that comes with time in a particular field.
5. Deep understanding. Most of us are not willing to dedicate enough time to fully understand the information and the consequences, either positive or negative, of applying the information.
6. Get a mentor. It is amazing how fast one can change the results in life after following the advice of a wise mentor. Success principles are duplicatable and predictable.
7. Apply the information. No matter how good the information is it has no value unless it is applied. Great results only come after the application of the right knowledge, coming from the right information.
Thank you for reading and reflecting on today’s nuggets. Please share with others.
I would love the opportunity to share my Nuggets with your audience!
Be blessed and be a blessing to others
Author of the book Priceless, Co-author of the book Follow to Lead
"The future belongs to those who can see and pursue opportunities before they are obvious."
"Those that take swift action will always leave those that don't breathing the dust."