The 7 Cancers of Organizations
The purpose of the 7 Daily Nuggets is to teach us what we need to know to live a prosperous life; the things that we may not have learned or are not currently learning in church, school, home or at work. Let’s apply what we learn here and share these nuggets with others. We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give. Be a giver in a world of takers.
Are you infected with one or more of the following cancers?
Are you seeking proper treatment?
Cancers grow until they kill you and/or the organization you are part of.
All forms can be caught. Since we are all born sinners, the propensity is already in us to create the environment for these forms of cancer to grow. Awareness is the best antidote.
1. Gossip. If someone is talking about others in front of you, they will likely talk about you in front of others. Ask the gossiper if you can quote him to the gossipee.
2. Envy. Subtle but easy to diagnose and catch by the remarks and looks. This one, like all the other ones, is rooted in evil.
3. Jealousy. A very widespread form of organization cancer. This one leads people to seek the wrong treatment. Be careful, this form can be contagious.
4. Hatred. Widespread in words and deeds around the world. The word hate should be removed from the dictionary. Hate spreads widely and deeply. The root cause is inadequacy from a feeling of being a victim.
5. Complaining. As common as common cold. Complainers seem to be born just to complain. Remedy is to ask the complainer to bring at least one solution for each complaint. Read the book The No Complaining Rule.
6. Criticizing. This is a mind case of hatred but with deep negative impact to organizations. Again, some people seem to be born with the gene that causes them to complain no matter what. Nothing seems to satisfy them. The rolling eye is an effective way to diagnose this form of cancer.
7. Condemning. Pay attention to the words being used to diagnose this one. The words are definite placing the condemnee in its electric chair. God alone can judge the heart of man. Leave to Him.
All the above cancers represent time and money theft. Protect yourself from catching these cancers by refusing to participate in the losing game of passing the blame onto others. Take responsibility for your life!!!
Be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Carlos Fontana, President of Phalanx
Co-author of the book Follow to Lead (The 7 Principles to Being a Great Follower)
Author of the book PRICELESS (Sixty-Six Simple Stories of Reflection, Love, and Legacy)