What is a coffee fanatic?
A coffee fanatic is the one who’s first thought in the morning is “I got to have my coffee”
Entrepreneurs are the backbone of our economy and our country. Entrepreneurs are the propagators and protectors of freedom. Entrepreneurs are the builders of communities. In times of uncertainty true entrepreneurs take calculated risks with decisiveness and certainty that they will succeed. When everyone steps on the breaks waiting for things to get better, entrepreneurs step on the gas and go. Meet Charles Solano, the owner of a new Biggby Coffee in town. His store is located on 1125 E Michigan Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49014. Charles went from a corporate employee to an entrepreneur who knows that the greatest risk of all is not to taking a risk. He took his life savings to become the owner and operator of a Biggby coffee store in our community. When talking with Charles you can see the fire in him and the determination of his spirit. As a coffee drinker, I know that coffee can do that to you; besides the fact that entrepreneurship and coffee go hand in hand. Charles invited me for a cup of coffee, a delicious latte, at his new store and what a great experience that was. The coffee was amazing and the conversation with him equally stimulating. Here is what Charles had to say about his business and his immaculate store.
The Biggby mission is to create one new coffee fanatic per day per store who will actively promote us to others. Here is how we do it a Biggby:
1. Company History. Biggby Coffee is a Michigan based company that started in E. Lansing Michigan back in 1995. Biggby Coffee is the dominant gourmet coffee in Michigan, and is also currently in 9 other states.
2. The culture. Be Happy, Have Fun, Make Friends, Love People, & Drink Great Coffee.
3. The Business. Operating Philosophy (summarize by the acronym PERC)
a. Perception by customers that we respect their time and move them as quickly as possible
b. Every Customer leaves the store in a better mood than when the customer arrived
c. Recognize each customer as an individual
d. Consistently produce a high quality beverage.
4. The Store. Biggby Coffee – Store 476, Battle Creek, E. Michigan Ave. I truly believe in the system & operating philosophy at Biggby! If you follow it, I am confident that it will prove successful! The product is great and the high energy & friendliness of the barista’s is what always caught my attention in stores! I would like my store to follow suit in this philosophy and give the customer’s a high caliber VIP experience upon every visit!
5. The Products. Biggby Coffee offers six special coffees daily. All beans are 100% Arabic and vigilantly roasted at Paramount Coffee in Lansing, MI. Biggby Coffee is much more than just coffee. We also offer excellent frozen smoothies, tea lattes, and several flavors hot chocolates. Any of our famous lattes, teas, and hot chocolates are available hot, iced, or frozen. Biggby Coffee also offers several varieties of bagels and muffins. Our bagel sandwiches are toasted bagels with cheddar, Havarti, or Swiss cheeses with turkey or ham and crème cheese. They are delicious!
6. The community. Community involvement is a big part of Biggby Coffee, and a big part of my store! So far we have sponsored local churches; local youth baseball, the Battle Creek Police Department, the Battle Creek Community Foundation, local school events, and we are always looking for more!
7. The Development of People. A big part of the reason for being an entrepreneur that is important & exciting to me is getting a chance to develop the younger generation just getting started in life, or early in their young adulthood. Many of our customer’s here at Biggby Coffee are professionals within the community, and encourage our baristas to actively engage in conversation with our customers. I encourage our baristas to learn our regular’s names, learn where they work, and jump at any opportunity to network with our customers. I would be sad to see any of them go, but life is about networking, meeting new people, and developing skills throughout life.
If you have not been on his store, go and you will have an amazing experience. You will be greeted with a smile that can make your day, let alone the coffee jolt you will have along with that irresistible bagel!
Please share with others; our community will be a better place because you did it.
Thank you for reading and reflecting on today’s story.
Be blessed and be a blessing to others
Author of the book Priceless, Co-author of the book Follow to Lead
"The future belongs to those who can see and pursue opportunities before they are obvious."
"Those that take swift action will always leave those that don't breathing the dust."